Criminal Record Checks
Criminal Record Checks
Gymnastics BC, as per BC law, requires valid criminal record checks (CRC) on file for all coaches 18 years and older as per provincial law.
Not all individuals associated with GymBC are required to undergo screening through a CRC, as not all positions pose a risk of harm to GymBC or to its members. Those who work closely with minor athletes and who occupy positions of trust and authority within GymBC are required to complete a CRC. These would include:
- individuals in key personnel positions in GymBC Member Clubs, including:
- paid staff positions
- club owner or president
- volunteers (includes Board members)
- privacy officer
- joint health and safety committee representative (as per WorkSafeBC)
- finance coordinator
- coaches of provincial teams
- volunteers appointed to accompany provincial teams to events or competitions
- volunteers at major GymBC hosted events identified by GymBC as requiring CRCs
- all registered coaches affiliated with GymBC Member Clubs
Note: Gymnastics BC requires that searches for pardoned sexual offences (Vulnerable Sector Searches – VSS) be conducted for all member coaches.
Validity of CRCs
CRCs are valid for a period of three years. Gymnastics BC may also, at any time, request that an individual in a designated category provide an updated CRC. This will take place if GymBC has grounds to believe that the results of the previous CRC are no longer accurate.
How to complete a CRC
All coaches and other employees of GymBC member clubs must visit their local police station to obtain a Criminal Record Check. Once completed, a copy of the CRC will need to be sent electronically.
Please ensure you request a Vulnerable Sector Search when you order your CRC.
For volunteers seeking to request a free CRC, please contact us.
How to complete an online CRC
Please note that if you use this online process you will not receive a hard copy of your CRC. If you or your employer requires a hard copy, please complete the CRC through your local police station (request a Vulnerable Sector Search).
The online CRCs are FREE for volunteers ONLY. The access code for volunteers can be obtained by sending an email or by calling 604-333-3495.
To complete your CRC online, visit the following website:
Please select the “Request a New Criminal Record Check” button (your results will automatically be shared with Gymnastics BC).
Please do NOT share the volunteer access code. The BC Criminal Records Review program will periodically audit GymBC. If it is found that the volunteer code is being used for paid employees, GymBC and its members will no longer be able to use this convenient service and coaches would again be required to complete CRCs in person (and pay a higher fee to do so).
After the applicant enters their personal information in the online form, their ID will be verified via the electronic ID verification process (EIV). The ID verification process can be completed manually if the applicant’s ID cannot be verified electronically (see below).
ID was verified electronically, please continue the process with the following steps:
- GymBC will be notified once the CRC has been completed.
ID was NOT verified electronically, please continue the process with the following steps:
- Print off the manual application form which is pre-populated with the applicant’s personal information, and includes the ID Verification form.
- Add the appropriate ID code to the application form (can be handwritten or typed in any blank space):
– Volunteer ID code: 1421156
- Have identification manually verified by a representative of the applicant’s club (i.e. office manager, membership registrar, head coach, board member etc.). After verifying two valid forms of ID, the club representative must forward the documentation on to the Technical Education Manager for electronic submission. After verifying two valid forms of ID (see below for acceptable forms of ID), the club representative will sign the ID verification form.
A copy of the signed ID verification form will be kept on file for five years as per program requirements.
- The Technical Education Manager will send the application form, ID verification form and Application for Pre-Authorized Credit Card Usage form (form location available above) to the BC Criminal Records Review Program (address and fax number is located on the printed application form).
- GymBC will be notified once the CRC has been processed.
Manual ID verification for club representatives
Two pieces of ID are required for manual ID verification. At least one of the listed primary pieces of ID, along with a secondary ID (see list of accepted ID below) must be shown to the club representative. One piece of ID must be government issued (Driver’s Licence is preferred) and display applicant’s name, date of birth, signature and photo.
- Ministry of Justice link to online CRC
- CRC Application for Pre-Authorized Credit Card Usage form
- BC Government Ministry of Justice