Assistant Coach – FULL TIME OR PART TIME
Wage/Salary Negotiable based on experience
Assist Head Coach with BC Gymnastics programs and routines – with practices and competitions; teach technique and safety, and register gymnasts for competitions. The Assistant Coach will report directly to the Head Coach.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Set up and break down the gymnastics equipment as necessary
- Greet parents and gymnasts in a friendly manner
- Support coaches with teaching skills and progressions for beginners through competitive level gymnasts
- Create an engaging, safe, fun environment for gymnasts with encouragement and smiles
- Utilize suggestions and constructive criticism to improve teaching skills
- Assist with routines that meet the Gymnastics Canada guidelines (as necessary)
- Assist with organizing any special events and registering gymnasts for competitions
- Attend scheduled staff meetings and special events as assigned
- Participate in recommended training programs
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties
- Minimum education: High School diploma
- Must be willing to obtain the following certifications: (or have current certification in)
- Gymnastics Foundations Level 1 & 2 (Gymnastics Canada)
- Trampoline Level 1 (Gymnastics Canada)
- First Aid / CPR
- Respect in Sport (Red Cross)
- Active Start (GymBC)
- Criminal Record Check
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office and office management software, and ability to type a minimum of 30 WPM
- Have a proper understanding of current coaching practices and Health and Safety
- Demonstrable experience working with young people between the ages of 2 to 18
- Experience in dance choreography for competition and public performance not necessary, but a definite asset
- Enjoyment of working with young children, be flexible and be quick to learn
- The ability to take direction and work well with others
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Be a confident, well-motivated and presentable person who knows (or will quickly learn) how to behave as a member of the academic support staff and set an appropriate example to gymnasts of all ages
- Energetic and approachable with excellent communication, organizational and interpersonal skills
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships
- Flexible with a ‘can-do’ approach and able to work effectively and use initiative without constant supervision
- A proactive approach to work, and meeting targets
- The ability to maintain in strictest confidence any information received concerning club matters
- Ability to see and hear clearly 30 yards away.
- Ability to provide sustained attention to students during class time in the gym
- Ability to stand, kneel, stoop, crouch, and climb onto a spotting block to assist a gymnast.
- Ability to spot a gymnast, including the strength to lift and carry 50 pounds.
- Ability to move equipment including the strength to push or pull 75 pounds.