Purpose & Overview
Gymnastics BC (GymBC) is seeking a dynamic, innovative and responsible individual to evaluate, manage and expand GymBC’s Safety & Risk Management programs. This will include collaboration with GymBC members to facilitate compliance with risk management policies. As leaders in the sport of gymnastics within British Columbia, Gymnastics BC is committed to providing a safe sport environment for all participants that is accessible, inclusive and free from all forms of maltreatment.
Method of Appointment: Hired by the CEO.
Power of Decision
The Sport Safety Officer has sufficient authority to take measures that are necessary to carry out their duties in accordance with the job description.
Primary Areas of Responsibility
Responsible for the overall development, coordination, supervision and promotion of risk management and safe sport matters for gymnastics programming, policy and physical literacy in BC. Under the direction of the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the Sport Safety Officer will fulfill the following responsibilities:
1. Risk Management
• In collaboration with stakeholders, develop and implement GymBC’s risk management strategy, policies and procedures.
• Conduct risk assessments of the organization and member clubs.
• Develop a risk registry for GymBC.
• Review, evaluate and update risk management tools.
• Ensure member compliance for GymBC waivers & Acknowledgement of Risk documents, including collection, storage and retrieval.
• Develop risk management tools and resources for GymBC to support member clubs in addressing identified priorities.
• Consult with legal counsel (or any other external contractors or stakeholders) to develop risk management tools (e.g. screening best practice).
• Facilitate injury and concussion tracking and analysis systems.
• Facilitate the implementation of and compliance with GymBC’s Screening Policy for all members identified in the policy.
2. Sport Safety and Complaint Management
• Act as intake point of contact for community concerns and complaints.
• Collaborate with CEO to facilitate the implementation of third-party complaint management processes.
• Ensure that proper record keeping is maintained when managing complaint and disciplinary processes.
• Develop and implement a strategy to educate GymBC members about Sport Safety.
• Develop and update COVID-19 resources, tracking club compliance, answering COVID questions, and other related tasks.
• Keep current with various evolving sport safety requirements and initiatives with industry partners.
3. Insurance Administration
• Facilitate the annual renewal of GymBC’s insurance policies.
A member of Gymnastics Canada Gymnastique
• Advise GymBC members on insurance matters as they relate to GymBC’s insurance program.
• Facilitate claim processes for all general liability and accident claims with brokers, adjusters and legal.
• Manage the Certificate of Insurance process.
• Support GymBC in operational functions including but not limited to: staff meetings, annual and extraordinary general meetings, town halls, hiring processes, funding/grant applications, board meetings, special events, and any other commitments as needed.
• Liaise and collaborate with external stakeholders (Sport BC, viaSport, GymCan, other PSO’s, and other relevant groups) to ensure that GymBC risk management and safety strategies, policies, and educational initiatives meet and exceed comparable industry standards.
• Assist CEO and other GymBC staff in developing and editing existing or new policies as they relate to safety, risk, complaint management, travel, and behavioural expectations.
• Complete other tasks as required by the CEO.
Experience & Education
• Post-secondary education or applicable experience.
• Canadian Risk Management Designation (CRM) preferred.
• WorkSafe BC experience.
• Experience working with not-for-profit organizations is an asset.
• Knowledge of BC’s amateur sport system is an asset.
• Experience in writing reports and policies for risk management and occupational health & safety.
• Competency with Microsoft Office Suite is required.
• Excellent administrative skills required.
• Strong time management skills and ability to manage concurrent tasks efficiently.
• Ability to multi task and meet expected deadlines.
• Must have superior attention to detail.
• Highly self-motivated, innovative thinker with the ability to take direction, work as part of a team and make independent decisions as required.
• Strong problem-solving and organizational skills.
• Ability to handle challenging confidential matters professionally and rationally.
• Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills. Is able to build and maintain effective working relationships.
• Displays creativity and independent thinking.
• Understanding of, and sensitivity to, cultural and political issues.
• Consistent work record, including attendance and punctuality.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please email your resume and cover letter* in either MS Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, please note that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Remuneration: Annual salary range from $70-$80k, plus benefits, based on qualifications and experience.
Application Deadline: Monday, October 24, 2022 at 4 p.m. PST