Insurance Provider: Markel Canada
Broker: Marsh Canada
Policy Period: August 1, 2020 – June 30, 2021
Summary Chart (further details below)
Limits and details
$5,000,000 per occurrence. With newly acquired excess, $10,000,000 per occurrence.
$3,000,000 sub limit on Abuse Claims
$2,000,000 sub limit on Tenants Legal Liability
Directors and Officers
$1,000,000 per occurrence.
Varied coverage limits based on specific treatments and injuries.
$10,000,000 per occurrence for Competitive Trampoline
$500,000 per occurrence with $1,000,000 aggregate total for Structured Recreational Trampoline. $10,000 Deductible for Structured Recreational Trampoline.
General Liability Policy
GBC’s general liability insurance policy protects full member clubs and their registered members in the event of a lawsuit. A lawsuit may result from negligence for bodily injury to participants, spectators and other members of the public or to damage to third party property, arising out of GBC-sanctioned activities. The primary general liability insurance provides coverage up to $5,000,000 per occurrence. The policy will pay the legally obligated settlement or judgment against the insured for compensatory damages in the event of a lawsuit. This coverage also includes legal liability for injury to participants. This policy covers all members of the club, including: executives, managers, coaches, trainers, officials, employees and volunteers who were acting within the scope of their duties on behalf of the full member club.
- During the 2019/2020 policy period, GBC’s coverage limit was $5,000,000 per occurrence.
- During the 2020/2021 policy period, GBC’s coverage limit has increased to $10,000,000 per occurrence This $10,000,000 limit does not apply to abuse claims (limit is $3,000,000 per occurrence) or Recreational Trampoline coverage (limits described below).
- The deductible to access the general liability policy is $2,500.
- The deductible to access the general liability policy on a recreational trampoline claim is $10,000.
- Tenants Legal Liability sub limit of $2,000,000. Tenants Legal Liability coverage is for people or organizations who rent space (businesses occupying buildings) that may cause an accident resulting in property damage. The property owner(s) may hold the tenant liable for the damages. If the tenant has tenant’s legal liability coverage, he or she will be protected from those claims.
Directors and Officers (D&O) Policy
This insurance provides the Insured with coverage for claims made as a result of the Insured Party’s wrongful acts including any negligent acts, errors or omissions committed in their insured capacity as a Director, Officer, or trustee, as well as any other matter claimed against them solely by reason of their serving in such insured capacity.
- Limits for GBC’s D&O policy is $3,000,000, and member clubs have access to $3,000,000 of Errors and Omissions/Wrongful Acts coverage as a part of the General Liability policy.
- Deductible Cost: $10,000
Sport Accident Policy
All club members registered with Gymnastics BC receive coverage for accidents occurring during classes, practice and competition. This includes participants, coaches, judges, facilitators and supporters. Accident insurance only provides coverage in situations where an injury takes place as a result of an accident during a sanctioned gymnastic activity.
GBC’s Sport Accident Policy is excess coverage only and does not provide primary medical insurance. It applies over and above coverage provided by government (BC Medical Services Plan – MSP) whether the Insured is enrolled in such a plan or not.
- Sport accident coverage is consistent with GBC’s coverage in previous years.
Trampoline Coverage Update
- Trampoline coverage for the 2020-2021 policy is the same as the 2019-2020 policy except that competitive trampoline activities have coverage up to $10,000,000 dollars because GBC was able to obtain excess insurance coverage on the general liability policy.
- Trampolines are considered to be any apparatus that has any form of bed-type surface, attached to a frame by springs; this includes, but is not limited to, competition trampolines, backyard trampolines, mini-trampolines, double-mini-trampolines and tumble-tracks;
- Trampolines may not be used in birthday parties, drop-in sessions, summer camps or field trips;
- Structured recreational programs (considered regularly scheduled programs over multiple weeks that teach progressive skill development) may use trampolines, however, a certified Level 2 trampoline coach must be present in the gym and supervising the activity (not required to be directly coaching). This area of programming comes with a liability sub-limit of $500,000 per occurrence with an annual total combined limit across all Gymnastics BC member clubs of $1,000,000 (recommended coverage is minimum $5,000,000).
- Competitive trampoline activities are permitted, provided that the participant is appropriately registered as a competitive athlete and is being directly coached (one-on-one) by a certified Level 2 Coach at all times;
- Cross-training activities that utilize trampolines, must receive approval from Gymnastics BC and the insurance provider. Please see the attached form to apply for cross training activities: https://gymbc.org/public/uploads/Cross_Training_Request_Form.pdf
Insurance Coverage FAQ’s
GBC’s insurance broker is Marsh Canada.
GBC’s insurance company is Markel Canada.
Incident reports for individuals who are under the age of 19 should be kept until the individual is 21. Incident reports for individuals who are 19 or older must be kept for 7 years.
Forward a copy of the letter to GBC at firstname.lastname@example.org immediately so it can be sent to the insurance company.
Yes, the GBC insurance policy allows clubs to participate in activities outside of the club, including mall displays, parades, performances, demonstrations, hosted competitions, awards banquets, and fundraising activities, etc. Please make a request to obtain a certificate of insurance at least 14 days prior to the activity.
No, GBC’s insurance policy does not include property coverage.
No, GBC’s insurance policy does not include travel medical insurance. Please ensure you have an appropriate travel medical policy in place before you travel.
GBC Coverage 2020/2021
Women’s Artistic Gymnastics (Competitive)
Men’s Artistic Gymnastics (Competitive)
Trampoline Gymnastics (including Tumbling and DMT) (Competitive)
Covered with specific criteria
Interclub Artistic and Trampoline Gymnastics (Competitive)
Acrobatic Gymnastics (Competitive)
Recreational Artistic Gymnastics:
· Active Start, School Age, Teen
· Adult Gymnastics
· Adaptive/Inclusive Programs
· Performance Gymnastics (commonly known as “Gymnaestrada“)
· Recreational Cheerleading
· Recreational Acrobatic Gymnastics
Covered (no coverage for trampoline activities)
Aerials (Silks, Hoops, Static Trapeze, Cord, Hammock, Self-Made Apparatuses etc.)
Circus Arts (Chinese Pole, Teeter Board, Chinese Hoops, tight wire, contortion, juggling, etc.)
|Birthday Parties, field trips, etc.||Covered (no coverage for trampoline activities)|
Sleepovers are considered non-gymnastics activities and are not covered or allowed under GBC’s insurance policy. Sleepovers can put athletes, coaches, and other participants in vulnerable positions that make it very difficult to follow Safe Sport guidelines.
Reasonable low-risk camp activities are covered as long as all participants are registered and are performing these activities with a GBC-registered coach.
Low-risk camp activities include arts and crafts, going to the park, or other low risk seasonal sport-related activities at an introductory level such as soccer, basketball, tag games, etc.
Non-gymnastics activities of high risk are not covered and require additional insurance coverage or approval by Marsh Canada.
High-risk activities include rock or wall climbing, swimming, diving, football, roller-blading, wake boarding, snowboarding, and more.
If you are unsure if an activity is covered, assume the activity is not covered and follow-up by contacting GBC for approval or added insurance coverage from Marsh Canada.